YOUR GUIDE TO LIVING LA VIDA BADASS AT MEDFORD’S MOST FABULOUS, SLIGHTLY WEIRD, HOUSE OF FITNESS BADASSERY
Hello and welcome!
We are super-excited that you’ve decided to join our community of fitness badasses! Welcome to the ongoing experiment in developing and growing a truly and radically inclusive fitness community.
You are welcome here.
You belong here.
To help you make your way to your own version of fitness badassery, please take some time to read through this Member Handbook and then keep it somewhere handy. We recommend bookmarking this page. Here you’ll find a collection of useful things that will help you make the most of your membership, kick ass and take names, and also get the best fitness experience possible.
|PART 1: BECOMING A BADASS|
|New to Reimagym? Start here. We’ll guide you through the first few weeks of your journey and help you to make the most of your membership.|
|PART 2: COMMUNITY POLICIES|
|Policies to make everyone feel safe and comfortable.|
|PART 3: NAVIGATING LIFE IN THE HOUSE OF BADASSERY|
|The 411 on day-to-day life at the studio: how to book and cancel your visits, manage your spot on waitlists, and more.|
|PART 4: HOUSEKEEPING – HOW TO MANAGE YOUR MEMBERSHIP (THE EASY BUTTON)|
|During your journey to fitness glory, you may need to freeze or change your membership, or even (GASP!) terminate. It’s all easy.|
|PART 5: JOINING THE REIMAGYM FAM!|
|Reimagym is all about connecting YOU to your new community of beautiful, loving, wonderful and wondrous fellow badasses. You’ll find tons of fun and support in your new badass fam!|
Part 1: Becoming a Badass…
In this section:
- WELCOME TO THE FAMILY
- Your First Week of Group Classes
- Your First Week of Small Group Training
- Your First Week of Private Training
- The Journey
- WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A BADASS
- Living Our Core Values
- A Note From Theresa And Mike
Welcome to the family!
This chapter is intended to be your handy guide for beginning your journey toward fitness magic, wonder and badassery…
Your First Week of Group Classes
Are Group Classes part of your membership? If so, we highly recommend taking at least three Circuit Fun! classes because not only will these classes be a great workout for you, you will also learn a lot about safety and technique.
This will keep your body healthy and happy while you get strong and become even more of a badass.
Your First Week of Small Group Personal Training
Small Group Personal Training Membership? In your first session, your trainer will walk you through the Welcome Workout. Part workout, part movement assessment, the Welcome Workout serves as our starting point for developing a more personalized training plan for you. We’ll show you proper technique, teach you how to use the equipment and help you to feel at home in the studio.
In Small Group training, you will work out alongside some others. You’ll notice they are probably doing a workout like yours, yet different. You’ll see your coach circulate between the members, cheering you on and giving personalized attention.
We encourage you to train with different coaches to experience the full breadth of our experience and quirks.
Your First Week of Private Personal Training
Have Private Personal Training in your membership? In your first session, your trainer will take you through a series of exercises that also serve as a movement assessment. This will feel like a workout while also providing your coach with valuable information about how your body moves and what exercises will be best suited to your physicality and goals. From there, your coach will map out a customized, progressive training plan for your journey to fitness glory!
You’ll have the option of scheduling your sessions for in-person training in the studio or virtually using our video platform.
We encourage you to train with different coaches. Your training plan (and the individualized considerations built into it) will follow you, regardless of who you train with. This way you can benefit from the full range of our experience.
Our goal is to find and keep you in your “growth zone”: pushing the edges of your boundaries or limits, enough to help you grow, but not enough to risk injury or overwhelm.
Along the way, we’ll regularly encourage you to ‘run your own race’. On the surface, this means you don’t need to worry about matching the energy or intensity of anyone else in the room. On a deeper level though, this also means that you don’t need to worry about matching the energy or intensity of you on any other day.
Your growth zone will change over time and will almost certainly vary from day to day. We’re sure you know that some days you’ve got the energy to take on the world, and other days, not so much. Both are always okay.
Beyond your workouts. At the start of your journey, you’ll receive a supplemental new-member email series. This focuses on all of the ways your workouts are likely to impact life outside the gym— and, how your life outside the gym can impact the results you get inside the gym. For example, nutrition is a significant player here. You can’t out-train your diet. If your nutritional habits aren’t supporting the work you’re doing with us, you just won’t get results as quickly.
Let’s be clear: when we say “results”, our goal is to reimagine conventional ideas about “fitness.” Our focus is on helping you to feel good inhabiting your body— regardless of shape or size.
Fitness is not a body type.
In your first week, you’ll get to know your coaches and your new community of wonderful humans. And maybe we’ll even do a fun dance to show you how thrilled we are to have you join us!
We have a Facebook group you can join to meet other folks in the community. We know that some folks like to train at the same day and time each week while others flutter about to different days and times. Joining the group is a great way to meet and keep in touch with the other members.
WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A BADASS
Living Our Core Values
We believe your personal values are the guardrails that help you stay on track in life. The Reimagym Team works to embrace our Core Values every single day by asking ourselves questions that represent those values.
What can I learn today?
How do I impact others?
How big can I be today?
We believe that being a true Badass means being clear about what you value, and then working every day to embody those ideals. We invite you try out our values or create your own. You’ll quickly find that self-mastery is a vital skill on the road to health and fitness glory.
A NOTE FROM THERESA AND MIKE
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
“What do I wear?”
Wear clothes that make you feel comfortable, and give access to your full range of motion. In an ideal world, we would ask you to wear clothes that allow your coaches to see your body, so they can properly assess your technique. Rainbows and spandex are always highly appreciated.
For your feet, our strong preference is that you bring a pair of clean shoes that you don’t wear outside. We ask that you wipe the bottom of your shoes before entering the fitness floor. We also suggest you wear minimal footwear or socks so you can feel the floor. Barefoot is ok too, if you’re cool with it.
“What do I need to bring?”
Not much. A water bottle is a really good idea and a great support to stay hydrated. You might want a hand towel for wiping sweat off your brow.
“Do I need to check in when I arrive?”
If someone is working the front desk, they’ll greet you. But make sure to say hi to either (or both!) of Theresa or Mike too.
“So, how many Circuit Fun classes do I need to take?”
We recommend taking this class at least three to four times during your first month of a group fitness membership. We recommend that everyone interested in group fitness classes begin with Circuit Fun. This class is designed to give you practice working through all of the basic movement patterns and foundational exercises that we’ll use in all of our training plans.
“Are gloves allowed with all of the kettlebell work?”
Nope, we don’t use gloves when working with kettlebells. While gloves may spare your hands from some calluses, they’re not the safest choice when it comes to maintaining your grip on the handle of the bell. We’ve seen bells go flying because of glove use, so for this reason, there are no gloves allowed when working with kettlebells.
“Where Are You/How Do I Find You?”
Put 215B Salem Street in your GPS/Maps app. Follow its directions. If taking the bus, the 101 bus stops 1 block away on either side of Salem St. (at the Brookline Bank/Hadley Pl. on our side of the street and at the corner of Salem St and Allen Ct.)
Here’s a video on how to find the Studio
“Where Can I Park?”
There is 2 hour parking on Salem St. and on the ‘odd-numbered’ side of Hadley Place. The “even-numbered’ side of Hadley Place is resident-only sticker parking.
If you have a resident sticker we ask that you don’t park right behind us in front of our neighbor at 10 Hadley Place. They have asked us if we could do our best to keep that spot on the street open as they have young children and lugging a baby carrier, groceries and personal effects from down the street is challenging for them. Thank you for your cooperation.
Fulton Street and Allen Court have free parking with no time limit. Vine Street is resident-only sticker parking.
“How do I ride a unicorn?”
Please see below for a detailed demonstration by Theresa.
Part Two: Community Policies
START WITH WHY
Our mission is to help people to discover and unlock their inner awesomeness in service of growing beyond any previously limiting ideas about their own potential.
We are building a radically inclusive fitness community of people who are working on their own versions of strength, excellence and badassery. We embrace a model of deep health—a hopeful and empowering vision of people’s capability for change.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Optional for vaccinated members, with proof of vaccination.
- Required if you are coughing or sneezing, or if you or a close contact has tested positive for covid in the last 10 days (N-95 mask required in this case). Please don’t come in if you have covid, though!
- For more detail, see our Covid-19 Protocols.
We have a water bottle filling station and a water fountain.
Feel free to arrive up to 5 minutes before your training session or class to be ready to begin on time.
DURING YOUR TRAINING SESSION
Coaching is for Coaches: This may also sound obvious, but coaching advice (corrections on form, fitness advice, exercise suggestions) are only given by Reimagym coaches. Each member has unique needs and an individualized training plan, so as tempting as it might be to offer advice to another member, only coaches can do this.
Behavior toward other members
At Reimagym we value community. We foster conversation and we enjoy the stories you share. It is common for members to have some good natured interaction, but with some important parameters: avoid commenting on the appearance, ability, or fitness progress of other members.
We don’t have showers.
A SHARED RESPONSIBILITY
We fundamentally believe that we are all connected—in a multitude of ways—and few things have made that more clear than COVID-19. Each of our actions has the very real potential to have an impact on the lives of those around us. With that in mind, our approach to our safety protocols relies on our Members sharing in the responsibility for keeping everyone as safe as possible (so that we can continue to have super-awesome fitness fun for many years to come!).
All members and staff are asked to follow the following policies:
1. If you feel unwell: If you are experiencing a cold or other illness that is not covid or the flu, that has you coughing or sneezing, we ask that you wear a mask as a courtesy to other members. If you have covid, please don’t come in to train!
2. Let us know if you test positive: If you or someone you have tested positive for COVID-19, please let us know. We want to know that you are alright and to let other members that trained with you know that they may have been exposed so they can get tested as well.
3. If you have been in close contact with someone who tests positive: If someone close to you tests positive, let us know. You can still come in to train if you:
- Are symptom-free,
- Test negative, and
- Wear an N-95 mask for 10 days from the day you discovered the close contact.
4. After covid: If you or a close contact tests positive for covid, we require a negative home test before you can return to in-person training. Even so, we ask that you wear an N-95 mask for the full CDC-recommended 10-day period after your symptoms began.
Onward to Fitness Glory!
Part 3: Navigating life in the House of Badassery
Here’s the Deal:
We do this “fitness” thing differently: we’re dedicated to knowing your name when you walk through the door and creating a clean, judgment-free space where you can pursue your dreams of fitness badassery and have a good ol’ fashioned amazing experience every time you’re in our House.
The guidelines in this section have been created to ensure that we set clear expectations for all members about how we do things around here.
We strive to make each guideline as simple and fair as possible, but it’s normal to have some questions. Don’t be shy! If there is anything we can do to clarify or improve your experience, call 617-894-0452 or email email@example.com.
First Things First: How to sign up for trainings and classes
You can download the Wellness Living App (called Achieve) in your app store. Sign into the app with the same email and password you used when you created your account when you received your “Welcome Email.”
The following videos will help you get signed up into your classes and training sessions.
Booking a class/training session on the website:
Booking a class/training session on the app:
How your membership credits work
With your Glitter or Gold Reimagym Membership, you have been allotted a specified number of classes and/or training sessions to access weekly. During the term of your membership agreement, a new allocation of credits are available for your use every week. Your unused credits will carry over for up to four (4) weeks, after which they will expire.
For example, if you have a two small group training sessions per week membership (billed bi-weekly) let’s say this week you cannot make your two sessions— you’re on vacation, you’re taking a much needed rest, or you’re sick— those two credits roll over to be used within the next four weeks. How you use those credits is up to you. Do three trainings for two weeks. Do four trainings in a week. Use one or two of those credits for something in a price tier lower than your membership (i.e. a group fitness class). Whatever floats your boat.
Checking for rollover credits from the website:
Checking for rollover credits from the mobile app:
A note about scheduling past the end of your current membership term: So… there’s a fun Wellness Living “quirk” we’d like you to know about. As you may know (we hope!), your membership is set to auto-renew at the end of your current term.
The TL;DR take-home is that as you look to book training sessions past your auto-renew date, it is best to do so using the “pay when I get there” / “pay later” option.
There is a technical hiccup that makes reserving times beyond this date a bit tricky because, as far as the system is concerned, your current membership will have expired by then and thus, it thinks you won’t have credits to use.
Of course, once your membership auto-renews, any “unpaid” reservations will automatically be switched to use your regular credits.
So as you look to reserve training times beyond your auto-renew date, switch to using the “pay when I get there” / “pay later” option. This way, you can continue to take advantage of the rolling 90-day window for advance booking… even beyond your auto-renew date.
BOOKING CLASSES, SMALL GROUP OR PRIVATE TRAINING SESSIONS
Go to the Member Dashboard on the website or visit the Reimagym page on Wellness Living.
Classes, small group, and private sessions are made available for booking in a rolling 90-day window. This means that you can reserve your training times as far as 90 days ahead of time.
We highly encourage you to set yourself up for success and reserve your classes and training sessions early. Prime morning and evening times may be tough to book last minute!
**Weird caveat of Wellness Living– even though you are only able to book as far as 90 days in advance, the software will let you pick any day that you want. However if it’s farther than 90 days out, it will not actually book your recurring appointment. Grrrr, we know (shaking our fist emoji).
Booking recurring classes or training sessions – website:
Booking recurring classes or training sessions – mobile app:
Please don’t reserve more than one class or training session for the same day, so that every member has an equal opportunity to plan ahead and so you can avoid becoming an adrenaline junkie. We promise that you don’t need to take more than one class daily to see results. In fact, we suggest you have at least one or two days of rest per week to allow your body time to recover.
If we notice you have overbooked, we may automatically cancel your additional reservations, which means we could end up cancelling the class you actually want to attend. D’OH!
It is possible to link your Wellness Living Schedule to your Google Calendar or your Apple Calendar.
Linking to your Google calendar:
Linking to your Apple calendar:
CANCELING YOUR RESERVATION
Class reservations may be canceled with no penalty any time prior to 6 hours before the scheduled start time.
Small Group and Private Training reservations may be canceled with no penalty any time prior to 24 hours before the start time.
If you discover you will be unable to make a class or small group session and it’s beyond the Early Cancellation period, we ask that you Late Cancel your reservation. Your credit will still count as used, but this courtesy will allow another member to book your spot and you will avoid a No-Show Fee. If you have a Glitter Membership you receive four Oopsie Passes (beginning January 2023) that you will need to contact the office if you’d like to use one of your Oppose Passes for a cancellation.
Cancel any reservation without penalty within two hours of reserving. This is a “Whoops, I didn’t mean to sign up for that” policy that allows you to take back your reservation, even if the class you reserved is happening soon. For example, if, at 8 am, you sign up for a 4 pm class on the same day, and then you realize you can’t make that class, you have until 10 am to cancel without it being considered a late cancelation.
If you do not show up for your scheduled class, small group training session, or private personal training session, you will be charged a No-Show Fee of $10 for each missed appointment.
WAITLISTING FOR A FULL CLASS, SMALL GROUP OR PRIVATE TRAINING SESSION
If your preferred class, small group or private training is full, you may opt to add yourself to a digital waitlist via Wellness Living.
Here are some important guidelines for managing your waitlist requests:
You should only waitlist yourself for one group fitness class, small group training or private training per day.
If you have a reserved class or training on the same day, you should cancel your current reservation before adding yourself to a waitlist for a different class or training. Otherwise, Wellness Living may remove you from the waitlist rather than add you to the class or training. D’oh!
If you are on the digital waitlist, and your class/training becomes available, you will receive an email letting you know. If you would still like to take the class, follow the prompt in the email to confirm your enrollment within two hours of receiving the email. If you do not respond, the link will expire after two hours, but if know you’re no longer interested in the spot, please follow the prompt in the email to cancel your reservation so that someone else might take your spot. The email will bring you to your Wellness Living profile where you can officially confirm your plans. The sooner you can confirm, the better, as we may have other members waiting to take that spot.
To be added to a class or training from the digital waitlist, you will need to confirm that you want to join the class/training, otherwise it will not add you. If you confirm and then do not show up or need to late cancel, our usual no-show policies and/or cancellation polices apply. So, if you are no longer available for your waitlisted time, remove yourself from the waitlist.
The digital waitlist stops functioning two hours prior to each time slot
Note: In order to get waitlist notifications from Wellness Living, you must opt in to receive emails and/or texts in your “notification settings” in your profile in Wellness Living or in the app by clicking on your initials icon and then click settings. Reach out if you need assistance in changing your settings.
Adding or updating your credit card information is easy.
In the mobile app:
- Click your initials in the top right, which will open your profile.
- Click “Billing Information”
- There will be an “add card” option
- Add the information for your new card, and delete your old card’s information
In the desktop or web-based system:
- In “My Profile”, click on “Billing”
- Scroll to the bottom and click the button “Add a new card”
- Enter the information for your new card.
- Delete the information for the old card.
Reimagym offers a rewards program — if you help us out by providing reviews, attending events, or trying new services, then we will return the favor with membership points that can be used to purchase merchandise!
Here are ways you can now score points on your profile and how you can redeem them:
- Write a review about us in Wellness Living and earn 75 points.
- Share your review on Facebook or Twitter and earn 50 points.
- Schedule and attend a Members Only Goals check-in appointment and earn 25 points. (How convent as it’s a new season and a great time to reassess your goals and have a chat with Mike or Theresa.)
- If you have a Nutrition Coaching Membership earn 50 points for each time you schedule and attend a Nutritional Coaching appointment.
- Earn 100 points when you attend a special event on our Calendar. This would fall under the ‘Events’ tab and not ‘Classes’ tab.
- When you book a class or training and share it on Facebook or Twitter earn 25 points.
- Earn 10 points if you purchase something from us and share on Facebook or Twitter.
- For your birthday you receive 200 points, because we’re so happy you were born!
- When you refer a friend to Reimagym and they try us out you receive 250 points.
- And if your friend purchases a membership you earn 500 points.
For every 100 points you earn, you receive $1.00 off merchandise (clothing) and other products: magnets, water bottles or tote bags.
How to see how many points you have:
- In the Wellness Living App, click on your initials in the top right corner. There you will find a list of items. Click on ‘Rewards’ to see your points total.
- For the Wellness Living website: once you sign in, click the menu item ‘Rewards‘ to see how many points you have.
ARRIVING FOR SMALL GROUP OR PRIVATE TRAINING SESSIONS
- Arrive up to 5 minutes prior to your training session if you like, knowing that your training session begins right on time.
- Say hi to to your friendly Reimagym Team.
- Use the hand sanitizer dispenser immediately to the left of the door when you come in.
- Then, change and wipe down your shoes.
- Put your belongings in a cubby.
- Feel free to use the restroom to change and prepare for your session.
TRACKING YOUR CLASS AND TRAINING CREDITS
To make it easy for all of our members to book visits far in advance, Wellness Living will allow you to reserve classes, small group and/or private training sessions as much as 90 days ahead of time—even though (beyond the current bi-weekly period) you have yet to pay for them. This is awesome, but it also means that you can accidentally reserve more “unpaid” classes or training sessions than you are allocated through your membership. To avoid overbooking, we strongly recommend that you keep track of your available credits by regularly reviewing your schedule on the Wellness Living app or the Wellness Living website.
**Weird caveat of Wellness Living, even though you are only able to book as far as 90 days in advance, the software will let you pick any day that you want. However if it’s farther out than 90 days it will not actually book your recurring appointment. Grrrr… we know (shaking our fist emoji)!
ADDITIONAL “MEMBERS-ONLY” CLASS OR TRAINING CREDITS
If (because you’re just having SO MUCH FUN!) you burn through your class or training session credits before your next billing cycle, you can always purchase additional “Members Only” credits at the Front Desk or through the Wellness Living. Add-ons are active for 12 months from the date of purchase and cannot be frozen.
Note, you must have an active class or training Membership to get class or training add-ons.
Part 4: Managing your Membership
WE WANT YOU TO LIKE TRAINING WITH US
But if you don’t, we have a no-risk, 30-day money back guarantee. As a first-time Member who has never worked out at Reimagym before, you may terminate your agreement and receive a complete refund if you let us know you’re not digging it within 30 days of your first class, small group or private session.
We want to be your home for health and fitness glory, but if you’re not having a good time in the first month, just let us know. We’ll help you find a better fit in someone else’s loving arms. #SingleTearFalls
THINGS THAT MAKE YOUR REIMAGYM MEMBERSHIP MAGICAL
Freezes are Easy. Like Sunday morning.
There could be any number of reasons why you might like to take a pause. Lately, life has been filled with them.
We make freezing (or suspending) your membership painless. After filling out the Membership Freeze Form, please allow two business days for us to process your request. Your billing will be suspended for the duration of the freeze. The billing will automatically resume once the freeze period has ended. Any suspended payments will be added onto the initial term of your membership agreement, extending the Membership term by the length of the freeze. Here are the details for your membership type:
- 52-week “Glitter” Memberships: You may take advantage of four complimentary freezes during the term of your agreement, anywhere from 2 weeks to 12 weeks in duration. Additional weeks will be $10 per week, paid in full at the start of your freeze period.
- No Term Length “Gold” Memberships: Do not have any complimentary freezes, but can be put on a freeze at $10 per week. Paid in full at the start of your freeze period.
- Bonus Freezing: Medical freezes are always complimentary if you provide a note from your doctor detailing the medical necessity of the freeze regardless of if you have a Glitter or Gold Membership. You may also elect to use one of your complimentary freezes (Glitter Memberships, see above), which don’t require a doctor’s note.
Want to come more frequently? Would you like to add classes, small group or private sessions to the mix? Need to scale back during your summer of weekend getaways? We can help. Use our Membership Change Form to request these changes to your membership. Please allow up to two business days for us to process your request. We will do our best to accommodate last-minute requests, but our magic has some limitations.
Here are the details for your membership type:
- 52-week “Glitter” Membership Changes: Members may change their membership type at any time, subject to current rates. The new contract must be for another “Glitter” membership, and the term of the new membership agreement will begin from the date of signing.
- No Term Length Membership Changes: After the initial 8 weeks, Members may change their membership agreements to a different membership at anytime, subject to current rates. The new membership will begin from the date of signing.
Free, 15-minute Monthly Goals Check-in/Restrategizing
We at Reimagym are dedicated to your health and fitness success! But sometimes, strategizing around a specific goal or issue takes more than a quick email. Reimagym offers all current Members the opportunity to book a one-on-one 15-minute session (in-person or virtual) to strategize around any challenges you may be having. This is available as often as once a month. Use this opportunity to clarify your goals, ask questions and overcome plateaus or obstacles. Like this idea? Book your goals check-in now.
Guilt-free Membership Termination
Though we’d be sad to see you go, we’re committed to making the split as painless as possible. Simply book a 20-30 minute zoom call with a member of the Reimagym staff to begin to process, and allow us two business days for us to process your request.
Here are the most common termination scenarios:
- Terminating at the End of Your Glitter Membership: Your contract is set to automatically renew at the end of your 52-week term so that you will have continual access to your classes and/or training sessions. If you do not wish for your agreement to auto-renew, you must schedule a call with us no later than fourteen (14) days prior to the first auto-payment of what would have been your next term.
- Terminating a Membership Early: Early termination of a Glitter contract is a flat fee of $350, except for the “no-fee” reasons listed below. The termination will apply to future payments only – past payments will not be refunded.
- “No Fee” Terminations: If you have a medical issue that prevents you from utilizing your membership, you may be allowed to terminate without penalty by providing a note from your doctor detailing the medical necessity of the termination. If you move away, and your new home is more than 25 miles from Reimagym*, you may terminate without penalty, provided that you lived within 25 miles of Reimagym at the time you began your agreement. (*If you are moving more than 25 miles away, but always attended virtually, this does not apply to your membership.)
- No term-length “Gold” Memberships: Can cancel at anytime by setting up a 20-30 minute zoom call with a member of the Reimagym staff to begin to process, and allow us two business days to process your request.
We’re here for you. So call us. Or email. Or ask in person. We’ve got you covered.
Part 5: Joining the FAM!
JOIN THE COMMUNITY!
You can find more of your new, badass, Medford FAM out in the cyber webs here: